Saturday, September 20, 2008

I`m finally here...

...so why has it taken so long for me to write?


Friends,

Today I experienced my first earthquake. Around 7:25, the morning of September 21st, I was in my bed and I was a little confused, but after realizing what it was, I was naturally excited. "Wow! This is pretty cool!" are pretty much the words I said. Hopefully, experiencing earthquakes remains a new and exciting experience, otherwise, well...You know.

So far, I`ve been to the following parts of Toyko:
Higashi-Yamatoshi-a smaller suburb-ish area where our dorm is, and most of the orientation sessions take place
Waseda-The area in and around Waseda University (the station exit is called `Takada no Baba`
Asakusa-A part of Tokyo with an older history; it houses a shrine to a really old Buddha statue, and the pathway leading up to it is filled with great, touristy shops.
Shinjuku- Lots of bright flashing light, various types of arcades and shops
Harajuku- Clothes, clothes and more clothes. I saw a few people dressed up in the extremes of Japanese fashion. Very interesting.

I have not had a long time in all of these places, except for Higashi-Yamatoshi. I`ll write more about all this later, when I`m not sharing 2 computers with 30 students.

Jya ne! (Later then)
Lydia

1 comment:

S P said...

So, I am dying to know. Is it Wah-SEE-duh or Wah-si-duh? I am not sure it that transfers in writing. Sounds like you are getting some good sight-seeing or touring in. I will meet you in Harajuku.