Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I'm a little off today...

Hey Gang!

Here's a quick post. I am a little upset right now, because I cannot log into my Earlham email. Was I hacked?! Who would do that, and why? I am convinced I remember my password (I mean, it's been the same one for the past few months...), so I cannot think of any other reason to why. I hope I am just overreacting...

Moving on! Sunday morning around 7am, I was lying in my bed trying to start my day when...There was an earthquake! So far, it has been the longest real earthquake I have experienced (I say real, because I was in an earthquake simulation room a few months ago. We were learning about earthquake safety...It was interesting). My first reaction was "this isn't an earthquake" because my house shakes a lot, due to subways and buses. But, it kept on going. My next reaction was "I should get under my desk". But my bed was soo warm and the air outside of my comforter was cold, a sentiment I'm sure many can relate to. I opted for the warmth which, in retrospect, might have been a bad idea. It turns out, that a volcano in the prefecture north-west of Tokyo erupted. Connection? I think so...

I should also note, that this "prefecture north-west of Tokyo" is where I will be all next month.
(okay, so maybe this volcano is on the border of two prefectures, and is not right next to where I'll be staying...haha!)

Speaking of next month, I guess I should say this month! -_-;;
I will be staying in/near Minakami-machi in Gunma-ken. It's a very mountainous, cold area! I will be working/staying in a small Inn, where I will take the jobs of cleaner, waitress and babysitter. I am really looking forward to it, but I am told it may be a lot of hard work. I will tell you more about it after my first week (assuming I have internet!)

I want to show you one of my favoirite things about Japan, puri-cura. I have no idea what that means, but it's often translated [by us foreigners] as 'instant photo'. You make think this looks like those photo booths in America BUT they are totally different! With this one, you control the background, foreground, flash brightness, etc. You can writine on the photos when you're done, put stamps, change your hair color even!


See those two crazy gaijin (impolite word for foreigners, used predominantly for white/American foreigners)? Yeah, that's me and Caitlin (for those who don't know me, I am on the right, Caitlin is on the left). The first one is...PUNCH. It's hard to read, but the stamp translates to "lovey-dovey" with kissey faces ("raburabu (oVBV) -kiss- (VEVo)" the faces look something like that...) . I wrote "jyanai!!" (think Borat NOOOT!). The second one...we are tomogachi's, those little pet toys? I wrote "poop friends" (unko tomodachi), because I thought it would be funny...and we decorated it with poop stamps. I guess I need to admit I enjoy poop humor sometimes. Another great thing about these instant-photo machines, is that you can send the pictures to your [Japanese] cell phone! That's how I got these ones online. :)

So, that's my post! Sorry I didn't write more, I'm a little off today (why cant I sign into my email?!). I will try to get another post in before I leave for Minakami on Friday!

LYDIA<3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is by far my favorite post. Your dilemma about leaving bed during the earthquake made me laugh out loud. I saw Alan Tudyk in a commercial about dvr yesterday and thought of you.

Anonymous said...

I want to live in a puri-cura. Life there will be perpetually cheerful and techni-colored.