Monday, November 10, 2008

My hand hurts!

Why does my hand hurt? Well, because I have spent the last two hours working on my resume (which you'll get a nice picture of, NEXT entry) and writing post cards! Some of you lucky devils might receive one...in a month or so!

Well, last Friday I saw an AMAZING Kabuki play. I can safely say that I love Kabuki. It was So. Funny! The Kabuki play I saw is called"Sumidagawa Gonichi No Omokage". And it was a pretty avant-garde, if I do say so myself. Why? It was the 'New York Version'. What does this mean? First, it was performed in New York. Duh. Also, those foreigners who wanted, could hear the English translation while they watched. Because of this, I was a little more into it. The main reason it was so 'avant-garde' was because one of the main characters, Hokaibo, would actually do his monologues in ENGLISH! Now, if any of you have seen clips of Kabuki, you know that they way it is spoken is sort of a weird combination of singing and exaggerated sounds. When Hokaibo spoke English, it sounded...normal, albeit with a Japanese accent. But what he said was stupid, and actually breached the 'fourth wall' of theatre: he engaged with the audience, made references to current culture (such as James Bond), and even mocked other characters for not understanding English! A good example of random English spoken by Hokaibo is when he says, "Who writes this crap?" Ah...what a joker.

Not only was this play very funny, but the acting was superb (of course)! (The main actors were the same as the ones from the previous play!). The other characters stayed within the confines of the stage and their Kabuki world (except for one point, where a few characters were 'journeying' and stumbled upon a demon/evil spirit that they decided to pray to/offer sweets. Yeah, it was just a foreigner, sitting in the audience! Haha...). And the last scene, wow! There were some pretty intricate dances and fight scenes. Search 'Hokaibo' or better yet...THIS article? NY Times. Good description of the plot...something I am not good at relating!

The joint spirits of Hokaibo and the
Princess Nowake [disguised as Okumi] pose with Okumi,
as they dance to prove who is the real Okumi.
I know...Hokaibo is making a funny face
but this is Kabuki, and it totally works in context!

Next big thing...I'm trying to get a job! I have a job interview this Wednesday and I'm making a BIG deal about it because it's basically my first job interview (Well, second. But yeah...). I know there's little chance that I get this job, seeing as I'm only allowed to work 14 hrs/week (according to my work permit), but hopefully they need a waitress (or maybe a bar-person^__^) badly enough to hire me? Haaa...Wish me luck!

3 comments:

RuidosoHkr said...

Good luck with the job interview! I hope it goes well. It might have already past tho by now...hah. I have been slacking on the whole checking the internet. :( talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

WAITRESS!!! Hopefully your American-ness will be a plus.

Neoptolemus said...

lets see the resume