Tuesday, October 21, 2008

And so it goes...

Today was a no-school holiday celebrating the founding of Waseda. And, on that note, I shall tell you a little of Waseda's history!

Waseda was founded by Okuma Shigenobu in 1882 and, in case you forget this fact, there are statues of him everywhere around Waseda Campus. In fact, his main statue is a common meeting place for students so, even if you do not know his name, you know his face. Anyway, it was founded during the Meiji Restoration and I vaguely recall my history teacher making a point about this. Maybe it was one of the first Universities? Something like that. I feel silly not knowing. Anyway, if you want to know more than that, check out Waseda's home page (here's a convenient link) or you could always go to wikipedia.

here's a nifty picture of
Okuma which we shorten to 大隈銅像
in text messages...i think

Oh, a little story I meant to tell you guys: When I was in Shibuya on Friday (see previous post) I ran into an Earlham friend, Carlos. It was pretty whack. Shibuya is definitly the strangest place to run into someone you know, because it's always full of people (just like the rest of Japan >.<). When I first saw him he was, go figure, looking at a car. Good story, yeah?

Now, onto Today. I went to Ueno and Akihabara. Sounds exciting, yeah? It was nice, but Akihabara was a little bit of a dud. Maybe I just didn't go to the right place? Akihabara is popular for electronics and otaku (anime-fans). And there was a lot of electronics and a lot of anime culture. It was exactly what I expected.

I'm quitting my life as a
student so I can become a maid
and serve tea and cake
to all the Akiba-otakus!!!!!!

So, I know that wasn't much of a post. Better luck next time, eh? Check out my photos on facebook. I should be posting a new album or two within the next 24 hours!

3 comments:

RuidosoHkr said...

breaks are always nice! sounds like a few good outings you've had already this week! and i'm impressed you ran into one of your Earlham friends in that mass of people!!

Anonymous said...

Nice maid picture. You're so domestic...HAHAHA. Just kidding. I miss you.

Neoptolemus said...

you have to play the subway game sometime. get in a circle and take turns naming subway stops until someone can't name one. that person has to drink and you start over.

marsanc!