Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 6-Not much to say...

I have a feeling that this is going to be my downfall...Not much to say!

I went to work at my new JHS again today! Basically the same as yesterday, minus the tour (although, I could definitely use another tour!). Finished the information for "Miss Lydia's English Board" which I hope will be interesting...I color coded it, so it at least should catch student's eyes...I guess I should post a picture of that? I will do that in another post...sorry -_-;;

Tonight I went to two different nomiyas. Nomiya (飲み屋) quite literally means drinking shop, or bar.

The first was Igo's bar, which I went to with Damon. Igo loves metal music, in particular Metallica and Slayer, both bands I know little about. But the atmosphere is always great. We went there quite early tonight, so the bar was empty until half an hour before we left. If we had stayed longer, I am sure we would have met the other customers. As it was, I left totally sober (had a beer and lots of tea) so I went onto my friend Meg's restaurant.

First, a picture from Igo's bar:


The chef (Takumi?? Takkun!) makes decent Italian food, and started us off with some lovely onion rings (not that I am claiming those are Italian...). He also made Damon a carbonara pasta dish and, although it wasn't on the menu, it was so good! Interesting note: although I kinda knew Takkun from previous excursions to Igo's bar, I never actually knew him until I went to Meg's restaurant.

Which brings me to the next part of my night! I went to Meg's restaurant for girl talk and, of course, Ossan was there! Ossan (おっさん)is actually quite a rude term for older men (it's like calling your father "my old man" but more rude). I used to call him Take-chan (and we all know chan is a suffix you add to names of younger children or people you're really close to) because my friend Meg calls him Take-chan (they have been friends for a while). But he is almost 20 years older than I am, so one day when I was talking to him, I was joking around and called him 'old man' but HE LIKED IT! The nick-name stuck and now many people call him that. 

In general I had a great night! I spoke more Japanese than I expected, ate some delicious food, and it wasn't raining so my bike ride back home was smooth and safe! It's nights like these that I really love Morioka <3

xoxo

Sorry for the crummy post...

2 comments:

Mary Forman said...

I love your posts! You have a whimsical sense of humor.

Never give up! Never surrender!

For 30 days minimum.

Lydia said...

My hope is that after 30 days, posting will because just a natural part of my day. No more "ugh, I have to update my blog" feelings!