Monday, August 29, 2011

Post...I lost count!

I went to a lovely small tea shop/restaurant last saturday with my friend Samantha. We had a nice early dinner of the house special, called "wagamama curry". Some of you might have heard the word wagamama, since there is a chain of restaurants in the US called wagamama. It means selfishness, self-indulgence, etc. I think that, at least for the curry that we ordered, it is a play on words, waga meaning "our, my, one's own" and mama meaning...well, I'm sure you can guess.

Our Mother's Curry! Served with lassi, homemade pickles
and Darjeeling tea. 
 The curry was delicious! It was a tomato-based sauce with chicken and vegetables (onion and green peppers). It was a little spicy, but it was more flavor than kick. Served over a bed of turmeric rice (short-grain!). Really, a nice combination.

close-up with pickles 
The pickles added a nice sour kick to counter the sweet-savory curry. I didn't really care for the lassi (it wasn't sweet enough for me!), but it had a nice pinch of cloves on top, which gave the plain yogurt a nice kick.
Decent food photo for a cell-phone camera
They also served us a kokotto, which I am assuming is from somewhere in Europe, but I do not know the actual name...just the Japanese version. It was constructed by putting cheese (and some sort of milk-based sauce?) and broccoli on top of a raw egg then putting it in the oven to bake. It is simultaneously the weirdest and most amazing thing I have ever eaten with curry. Maybe even ever!

I will find the name of the restaurant later but it's in Morioka so unless you live there...

xoxo

No comments: